Ajax returns to Champions League after 4 years away Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Novak Djokovic of Serbia takes a break from the heat while playing against Marton Fucsovics of Hungary during their Day 2 2018 US Open Men’s Singles match at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York on August 28, 2018. / AFP PHOTO / TIMOTHY A. CLARYFor Caroline Wozniacki, it was like “drinking a margarita on a beach” but for tearful Alize Cornet it was a “nightmare” as temperatures nudged towards the 40-degree mark at the US Open on Tuesday.Four of eight early men’s first round matches ended in retirements. Temperatures were expected to soar to 38 degrees (100 farenheit) by mid-afternoon, the effect made worse by suffocating humidity.ADVERTISEMENT That came too late for Travaglia, Argentina’s Leonardo Mayer, Ricardas Berankis of Lithuania and Romania’s Marius Copil who all quit their first round matches.Berankis’s retirement was due to the heat, said the referee’s office, while Copil had “an arm strain”.Copil had been 5-1 up in the first set on 2014 champion Marin Cilic on the Grandstand when he quit in the third set.“The conditions were really difficult and it’s tough on Marius. He really felt something,” said seventh seed Cilic.Australian Open champion and second seed Wozniacki dreamed her heat troubles away as she defeated 2011 champion Samantha Stosur 6-3, 6-2 on a sweltering Arthur Ashe Stadium.“I just tried to cool down between games, used ice. I’m just thinking I’m on the beach, I have a margarita in hand, life is good,” she said.Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova was just happy to finish her 6-4, 6-1 win over Yanina Wickmayer before the afternoon began to really cook.‘Horrible’ heat“I was pretty lucky to play first on today, definitely. I knew it’s going to be very hot, but I couldn’t imagine how horrible the heat was,” said the Czech.Japan’s Naomi Osaka couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about. DepEd’s Taal challenge: 30K students displaced “With this heat, everyone was complaining about it. So I thought it was pretty decent, like, Florida summers are way worse, I think,” she said after beating Laura Siegemund of Germany 6-3, 6-2.The heat and humidity had already been an issue on Monday when Stan Wawrinka, Kevin Anderson and David Ferrer all needed medical time outs.So did Canadian teenager Félix Auger-Aliassime who quit his match against compatriot Denis Shapovalov after a worrying increase in his heart rate.“That wasn’t easy to see,” said Shapovalov. “It’s tough to keep pounding at it when he’s a brother to me.”The United States national weather service says its heat advisory for New York City will remain in place until Wednesday night.“The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a situation in which heat illnesses are possible,” said the body.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? French player Cornet described the conditions as a “nightmare” as she slumped to a three-set loss to Johanna Larsson of Sweden.Cornet, 28, wept as she sat courtside, telling doctors that she was ready to vomit and felt pain in her head and bones.Cornet had already been hit with a code violation for changing her shirt on the court after putting it on the wrong way round during the “heat rule” break allowed by the WTA after two sets when the temperature goes beyond 30.1 degrees.In response to the conditions, tournament organizers have allowed the men to opt for a similar 10-minute off-court rest at two sets to one.“The tournament referee, along with the medical team, will continue to monitor on-site conditions, to determine when the Extreme Heat Policy will no longer be in effect,” said a spokesman.ADVERTISEMENT Gov’t in no rush to rescue animals in Taal Peza offers relief to ecozone firms Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award That may be short of the 41 degrees which remains New York’s record temperature recorded in 1936 but that was little comfort for Italian qualifier Stefano Travaglia who retired at 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (8/6), 3-0 down to Hubert Hurkacz of Poland.“It was 36, 37 degrees but on court it was more,” said the 26-year-old who quit with cramps but admitted “the first problem was the sun”.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’“To have 25 seconds between points in this weather is not possible.“There was a lot of humidity, it was really tough. I hope that in my next tournament it will be less hot.” MOST READ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’
Racing will start at 10 a.m. on both days and should wrap up around 5 p.m.Some of the winners from last time out include Junior King of the Hill winner Tyler Musgrove, Todd Johnson took the top spot in Pure Street King of the Hill grouping, Kelly Dufresne came out on top in the Overall King of the Hill, and Mason Dufresne was the Jackpot winner.- Advertisement –
CUSP Protesters walked around Fort St. John Monday Night to show their opposition to the dam project – Andrew Tylosky/Energeticcity.caThe last of the open house public consultation sessions for stage two of the Site C dam project was held Monday night.- Advertisement -With more than 50 people questioning environmental impacts, possible boat access and even asking about the benefits of nuclear power, the event had more participants than it had seats. Members of CUSP, or Citizens United to Save the Peace were also in attendance, staging a silent protest by walking into the meeting and releasing helium balloons that floated to the ceiling with a banner message: “Site C Dam = Irreversible Damage.”Outside on the corner of 100th and 100th, the CUSP members were more vocal, honking horns and waving signs, expressing their discontent with the Site C project and the consultation process. [asset|aid=667|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=4fb2855656c8515d4cbefb885f72563a-Blaney_1_Pub.mp3]The protesters are concerned that the impacts of losing agricultural land and the environmental impracts outweigh any benefits the Site C dam might bring to B.C. They believe the solution lies in conservation, not new development, and not by selling excess power out of province, as is done now. Community Relations Manager for BC Hydro David Conway says that even though this is the last open house, the public can still send BC Hydro feedback until Nov. 30. [asset|aid=668|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=4fb2855656c8515d4cbefb885f72563a-Davide Conway_1_Pub.mp3]Feedback can be submitted online at www.bchydro.com/sitec, by e-mail at email@example.com, or by visiting the B.C. Hydro Community Consultation Office at 9948 100th Ave. The report with BC Hydro’s recommendation will be delivered to government by Fall/Winter 2009, after which the government will make a decision whether to move on to phase three: an environmental and regulator assessment which would last approximately two years.Advertisement
Click here to read the entire Globe and Mail article.With files from The Globe and Mail / The Canadian Press Chief Roland Willson of the West Moberly First Nation says an 1899 treaty gives his community title to land in the Peace River valley that’s vital to both projects.He says a recent verdict from the Supreme Court of Canada has strengthened his First Nations’ say on any industrial development on that land.Decisions are expected in October from the federal environmental minister and the B.C. environmental assessment office on whether the Site C dam can go ahead.- Advertisement -The dam would be the third on the Peace River, resulting in 5,550 hectares of land being flooded over an 83 kilometre stretch of valley. However, it would also generate an estimated 1,100 megawatts of capacity, the equivalent of power for 450,000 homes a year.A federal/provincial joint review panel, conducted in May, has yet to make a clear recommendation.B.C. Hydro has gone on record saying the company needs the dam to provide for future needs while also meeting the province’s legislated clean energy targets.Advertisement
0Shares0000Raheem Sterling shoots to score Manchester City’s equaliser against Everton in an English Premier League match on August 21, 2017. PHOTO/Daily MailMANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Aug 22- Raheem Sterling came on to score an 82nd-minute equaliser as 10-man Manchester City rescued a 1-1 draw against Everton in their opening Premier League home game on Monday.Wayne Rooney put Everton ahead with his 200th Premier League goal before City home debutant Kyle Walker was contentiously shown a second yellow card following a collision with Dominic Calvert-Lewin. Sterling, a half-time substitute, rewarded heavy City pressure by slamming in a late equaliser and Everton also finished with 10 men after Morgan Schneiderlin, too, was given a debatable second caution.City preserved their record of never having lost their first home Premier League game, but the main upshot was that Manchester United, Huddersfield Town and West Bromwich Albion now boast the only 100 percent records in the league.While City manager Pep Guardiola was unable to avenge the 4-0 defeat masterminded by his old Barcelona team-mate Ronald Koeman in January’s meeting between the teams, his side’s spirit will have pleased him.For Everton manager Koeman, who gave a second-half debut to record £45 million ($57.9 million, 49.3 million euros) recruit Gylfi Sigurdsson, this was a sign that his side could now be genuine contenders for a Champions League place.City made one change from their 2-0 win at Brighton and Hove Albion, Leroy Sane replacing Danilo at left wing-back, and with Everton content to sit back and absorb pressure, the hosts took the game to them.Everton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford was obliged to parry a rasping Nicolas Otamendi drive and Sergio Aguero teed up David Silva to crash a low shot against the left-hand post.But the pace of Calvert-Lewin made Everton a constant threat on the break and shortly after Silva had rattled the woodwork, they went ahead in the 35th minute.– Rooney milestone –Everton’s striker Wayne Rooney celebrates scoring on August 21, 2017Sane’s under-hit pass let in Calvert-Lewin and he skipped past Fernandinho before crossing for Rooney, who stroked the ball between Ederson’s legs before provocatively cupping his ears in celebration.Rooney, jeered throughout due to his Manchester United connections, becomes the second player to score 200 goals in the post-1992 Premier League era after Alan Shearer, who netted 260 for Blackburn Rovers and Newcastle United.It was a sucker-punch for City and worse was to come when Walker, who had just been booked for sliding in on Leighton Baines, was questionably shown a second yellow card by referee Robert Madley for backing into Calvert-Lewin.Guardiola introduced Sterling in place of Gabriel Jesus at half-time and the former Liverpool man led the charge for an equaliser.He twice shot over the bar, the second time from an excellent position, but after fellow substitute Danilo had been denied by Pickford, he netted the leveller.Everton right-back Mason Holgate was unable to get decent purchase on a headed clearance from Danilo’s cross and the ball fell kindly for Sterling to lash an emphatic volley into the bottom-left corner from 15 yards.In the last act of a frenetic game, Schneiderlin was harshly shown a second yellow card after sliding in on Aguero.The French midfielder showed his displeasure with Aguero’s theatrical reaction by wagging his finger in his face as he went off.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
A few clips and highlights of the Golan Bogman Race, which was organised and hosted by Donegal MTB (http://www.donegalmtb.com/home.php).Woman’s Awards –1st Place: Clara Cole-Hawthorn2nd Place: Ursula MacPherson Men’s Awards –1st Place: Shaun Stewart2nd Place: Eddie Sweeney3rd Place: Danny HunterVisit the Donegal MTB website and check out all the events happening around this part of the country.http://www.donegalmtb.com/home.phphttp://www.cyclingireland.ie/Home.aspxFilmed and Edited by Brendan McCallion(Guardian Films) DDTV: GREAT VIDEO FOOTAGE FROM THE GOLAN BOGMAN RACE was last modified: August 9th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BOGMAN RACEDDTVDONEGAL MOUNTAIN BIKING CLUB
ACTRESS Sarah Jessica Parker says she and her family are hoping to return to their holiday hideaway in Co Donegal soon – because they miss it.In an interview with Expose on TV3 to be broadcast on Monday, the star of the hit new movie ‘I Don’t Know How She Does It’ was asked if she would be returning to Kilcar soon. She replies: “I hope so…because we miss it so much. We try to replicate Ireland at home but it’s a poor man’s substitute for the real thing.”A sneak preview is above. Click to play.Full interview will be broadcast on Monday at 6pm on TV3.DDTV VIDEO: ‘WE MISS DONEGAL SO MUCH’ SAYS SARAH JESSICA PARKER was last modified: September 9th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalexposekilcarsarah jessica parkerTV3
Railway Police Force personnel on Tuesday apprehended five Rohingya, including a woman, from the Guwahati railway station. Officials said they had come from Manipur and were preparing to board a train to Delhi.“We found a few packets of smuggled cigarettes and other products. A case under Foreigners Act has been registered against them,” said an officer of the Government Railway Police to whom the five were handed over.The arrested five were identified as Arofa Begum (24), Mohammed Zuber (21), and Kamal Hussain (20) of Buthiduang, and Md. Nurul Hakim and Md. Kalimulla, both 19, from Baguna. The two places are located in the trouble-torn Rakhine State of Myanmar from where 700,000 Rohingya have fled to Bangladesh and other countries.
The CPI(M) appeared to have successfully defused a crisis in the Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council (TTAADC), a day after dissidents expressed ‘no-confidence’ in the council’s Executive Committee members and sought their resignations or removal.Lashing out at the State’s ruling BJP for trying to “destabilise the council for narrow political gain”, Chief Executive Member Radhacharan Debbarma on Tuesday addressed a press conference at the CPI(M)’s State office here, accompanied by 24 of the council’s 28 elected members.A group of dissident council members had on Monday circulated a letter purportedly signed by 15 members, urging the Secretary to convene an urgent session and demanding the removal of the Executive Committee’s members. The group also met Governor Ramesh Bais.Different assumptionsAt the press conference, some of those whose names appeared as signatories to the letter confirmed that they had indeed signed the letter, but contended that they had done so “assuming a matter related to their perks”. Only one member, Safai Mog, claimed his signature had been faked. Mr. Debbarma alleged that Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb and Deputy Chief Minister Jishnu Dev Varma had “orchestrated a conspiracy” against the CPI(M)-controlled TTAADC. ‘Sinister design’“The BJP would carry on its sinister design to make a back-door entry into the council, but we are also vigilant to thwart any unethical attempt,” the council’s CEM asserted. Former Lok Sabha Member and senior CPI(M) leader Jitendra Choudhury also slammed the BJP for trying to unseat elected officials of the TTAADC. The CPI(M) had won all 28 seats in the TTAADC in the last elections. Meanwhile, one of the dissidents, Patiram Debbarma, refuted the CEM’s charge and claimed that all 15 members had signed the letter willingly and that no signature was “fake”.He asserted that the actual picture would become clear once the council session is convened and it takes up discussion on their ‘no confidence’ motion. The Governor would be approached again for his intervention in convening an early session of the TTAADC, the dissident member added.