Category : heduwqevv

McPherson fourth at World Indoors

first_imgPORTLAND:  Stephenie Ann McPherson was clearly exasperated as she failed to give Jamaica a second medal late on day two of the International Association of Athletics Federations World Indoor Championships at the Oregon Convention Centre, here yesterday. McPherson having advanced to the final of the women’s 400m was in good form after one lap. However with three other athletes in a bunch up front she could not find space to pass and finished in fourth in 52.20 seconds, behind Bahrain’s Oluwakemi Odekoya who won in an Asian indoor record 51.45. United States’ Ashley Spencer and Quanera Hayes clocked 51.72 and 51.76 in second and third, respectively. “I was supposed to run the first 200m in 24 seconds and just use that same pace to 300m and then just run home but unfortunately I couldn’t do that I was locked in,” McPherson said. Asafa Powell had won Jamaica’s first silver on Friday after posting 6.50 seconds for second in the men’s 60m. Meanwhile, Shanieka Thomas finished eighth in the women’s triple jump with a season’s best distance of 13.95 metres. The event was won by Winner Yulimar Rojas of Venezuela with a best of 14.41m.   Earlier Elaine Thompson advanced to the final of the women’s 60m with the fastest qualifying time of 7.04 seconds. Running in semi-final three alongside world 200m champion Dafne Schippers, Thompson bolted to victory and was full of confidence heading into last night’s final. It was the second time Thompson had improved on her personal best in the day as she posted 7.09 seconds to win heat one earlier. “I just came here to execute and that’s what I did. Once my start is good I know I can take it from there and that’s what I did,” she said. Simone Facey advanced to the semi-finals after finishing second in heat three in 7.20 but was down the track in the semi-final in 7.21.   Natoya Goule started well and ran the first 300m in a competitive position in heat three of the women’s 800m, but faltered in the final lap and finished last in  2:08.23. Omar McLeod and the relay teams will try to add to Jamaica’s medal tally today. McLeod had easy run as he pulled away from the pack to win the second heat of the men’s 60m hurdles in 7.58 seconds ahead of Cuba’s Yordan O’Farrill in 7.69 to advance to the semi-finals later today.last_img read more

Canada white golden at World Under-17 Hockey Challenge

first_imgDespite missing their top goal scorer and team captain in James Hamblin due to injury heading into last night’s gold medal game of the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge against Russia, Canada white got the job done in convincing fashion with a 6-2 win. Players needed to step up in Hamblin’s absence and among those taking charge in the contest was Owen Tippett as he potted three goals for the hat-trick.Tippett and Canada white got the festivities started early as he notched his first marker just 1:26 into the game. Russia responded with a tying goal a minute and a half later, and a second tally at the 6:38 mark.As was the case in the first, Canada white got another early goal in the second and again it was Tippett finding the net this time on the power play 33 seconds in. Canada would score another two to lead 4-2 heading into the final 20 minutes.- Advertisement -Not wanting to mess with a good routine of scoring early in periods, Tippett scored his third goal, again on the power play 3:23 into the frame. Canada would score once more to round out the scoring.After the game Canada white head coach Scott Walker had nothing but good things to say about his team after winning gold in the matter that they did.“They’ve got an extreme high level of talent, skill and all that stuff. The little things they learned and the little things they were doing at the end of it is what’s going to make them pros. They were blocking shots, getting pucks in deep, and cycling,” he said.Advertisement As for the game’s hero Owen Tippett, Walker said while it’s great that he did what he did offensively, his work defensively shouldn’t be overlooked either.“The guy is a game breaker. He’s ready to go at all times but he also did some great back checks, great tracking, great forecheck,” he said.Scoring for Canada white were Owen Tippett (3), Gabe Vilardi, Jaret Anderson-Dolan, and Matthew Struthers.Ian Scott had a solid game in the Canadian goal turning aside 21 of 23 shots.Advertisementlast_img read more

Final act not over in death of model

first_imgDANIA BEACH, Fla. – The mystery surrounding Anna Nicole Smith’s death cleared up only slightly Friday, while the husband of an elderly ex-starlet added to the circus surrounding her life. Broward County authorities said no illegal drugs were found in the hotel room where the 39-year-old former centerfold collapsed Thursday, and that she had suffered no serious physical injury. But the medical examiner said it could take weeks to determine whether drugs, natural causes or a combination of the two is to blame. In Los Angeles, meanwhile, Prince Frederic von Anhalt, the husband of actress Zsa Zsa Gabor, said he had a decade-long affair with Smith and might be her infant daughter’s father. The claim comes while a paternity fight rages between Smith’s former boyfriend and a lawyer whose name is on the child’s birth certificate. A line of TV satellite trucks outside the small one-story building that houses the Dania Beach, Fla., medical examiner’s office illustrated the intense public interest in Smith’s death. “Well, that’s America,” said Jacques Gill, a 73-year-old retiree from Quebec. Meanwhile, Smith’s mother, Virgie Arthur, was in the Bahamas checking on the welfare of her granddaughter, 5-month-old Dannielynn Hope Marshall Stern. Earlier Friday, a reporter heard a crying baby at the home of the mother of a Smith friend reported to be caring for her, but no one answered the door. Arthur also appeared Friday on “Good Morning America,” where Smith’s hardscrabble childhood underwent a revision. “She didn’t come from a small town, as she said she did,” her mother said. Smith had claimed the small town of Mexia, Texas, about 80 miles south of Dallas, as her birthplace. Arthur said she once asked Smith why she had reinvented her biography: “You’re born in Houston, a middle-class family. Why do you tell that story?” “She said, `Mom, nobody wants to read books or see people on TV concerning, you know, middle-class girl found a rich millionaire and married him. There’s not a story in that,”‘ Arthur recalled. “She said, `The story is I come from rags to riches, and so that’s what I’m going to tell.”‘ Arthur said Smith told her, “`Mom, if my name is out there in the news, good or bad, doesn’t matter, good or bad, I make money, so I’m going to do whatever it takes.”‘ Drug overdose? Smith’s mother said she believes her daughter died of an overdose. Smith’s 20-year-old son, Daniel, died in September of what was believed to be an accidental drug overdose soon after Smith gave birth to her daughter. “I think she had too many drugs, just like Danny,” Arthur said on “Good Morning America.” “I tried to warn her about drugs and the people that she hung around with. She didn’t listen.” “She was too drugged up,” Arthur said. “By the last interview I saw of her, she was so wasted.” Dr. Joshua Perper, the Broward County medical examiner who did the autopsy, said only prescription drugs were found in Smith’s room at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Fla. He would not identify the drugs, but CNN quoted an unidentified law enforcement source as saying there were large amounts of prescription drugs, including Valium and antibiotics, as well as over-the-counter cold and flu medication. Perper said Smith had been sick for several days with some kind of stomach flu. Although toxicology tests are pending, he said, the autopsy found no evidence, either in her stomach or in her bloodstream, that she had taken large amounts of prescription medication. Officials, however, “do not exclude any kind of contribution of medication to the death,” he added. He reported signs of inflammation in Smith’s heart – “Something which looks a little bit unusual” – but added, “It may be nothing.” Perper said it would take three weeks to five weeks to conclude the investigation. Authorities also planned to interview a nurse and others and examine medical records before settling on a cause of death. Seminole Police Chief Charlie Tiger said there was no indication the voluptuous blonde was the victim of a crime, and Perper said the autopsy was able to exclude any kind of physical injury such as blows to the body or asphyxiation. “There are a number of possibilities” as to the cause of death, Perper said, including natural causes, a drug reaction or some combination of the two. In Los Angeles, a judge overseeing a paternity dispute between former Smith boyfriend Larry Birkhead and attorney Howard K. Stern over Smith’s baby daughter ordered that the model’s body be preserved for at least 10 days for a possible DNA test. That could interfere with plans for a funeral. Debra Opri, an attorney for Birkhead, said the DNA is needed to connect Smith with Dannielynn “so that no one can switch the babies.” The strangest twist Friday was von Anhalt, who said he would sue if Dannielynn is turned over to Stern or Birkhead. “If you go back from September, she wasn’t with one of those guys, she was with me,” von Anhalt told The Associated Press in an interview Friday. Von Anhalt, 59, and 1950s sex symbol Gabor, now 90, have been married for more than 20 years. He said he and Gabor met Smith in the 1990s when she was married to elderly oil tycoon J. Howard Marshall II. “She was a very big fan of Zsa Zsa and wanted to be like Zsa Zsa,” he said. “She wanted to be a princess.” Estate dispute At her death, Smith was waging a years-long court battle over the estate of Marshall, who died in 1995 at age 90. A federal court in California awarded Smith $474 million, but that was later overturned. In recent TV appearances, Smith’s speech was often slurred, and critics said she seemed “drugged out.” Michael Scott, a former attorney for Smith in the Bahamas, said he suspects drugs “featured in her death.” But Smith’s current attorney, Ron Rale, dismissed as “a bunch of nonsense” claims that her death was related to drugs. Rale said he had talked to her Tuesday or Wednesday, and she had flu symptoms and a fever and was still grieving over her son.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img

Free Saturday Basketball Camp for Kids of All Ages

first_img– Advertisement -Serving as the perfect way to get the kids out of the house and active, kicking off the winter break right. Parents were simply required to drop their children off and fill out a registration form.Advertisement This event was open to kids of all ages, it ran Saturday afternoon from 12 pm to 3 pm. Not only that, but entry was free or entry by donation, with all proceeds going to support the North Peace Senior Sports teams. One of the Senior Basketball coaches, as well as a handful of senior players, were volunteering their time to organize the afternoon. FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – On December 21st, at North Peace Secondary School there was a three-hour basketball camp being held. The activity was a hit, as at quarter to 12 the kids were already rushing in to enjoy the afternoon.last_img read more

El Segundo takes another turn at jet sign

first_imgThe City Council tonight will mull over bringing back an old favorite first seen in town in 1988 – a large sign telling airplanes taking off at adjacent Los Angeles International to stay clear of El Segundo’s airspace. At Councilman Bill Fisher’s behest, the council will discuss whether to investigate the logistics of building another sign along Imperial Avenue as a means of preserving the city’s tools in fighting so-called early turns by pilots. “What we’re really doing is being prudent,” Fisher said Monday. Tired of pilots immediately turning left after takeoff and cutting over town, El Segundo nearly 20 years ago erected an 8-foot-tall sign, then reading “Unsafe Area For Jets.” A splintered council approved the sign’s language in 1988 after considering a few other options like “Turn at the Coastline, Stupid,” “LAX Crash Site,” and “The Most Careless Airline of the Month is ?” At the time, then-Councilman Alan West called the move “the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.” West’s prediction that the sign would bring the city “ridicule and laughter” came true after the display attracted national media attention, he said. “It did, and it will again,” West said Monday, adding he was “flabbergasted” the council would consider a sign again. The sign, posted on the hillside of Imperial Avenue between Main and Sheldon streets, stayed put for a couple of years, until it was covered in 1991 after the Federal Aviation Administration launched new takeoff procedures designed to curb flyovers. The sign was removed in 2000. If the council decided on another sign, Fisher hoped for tamer language than the vintage version: “Fly straight to the coast,” “No turns into El Segundo” or “No early turns,” he suggested. But no matter how politely worded, a sign is unlikely to influence pilots, said FAA spokesman Ian Gregor. “Pilots don’t navigate by looking down at ground base signs,” he said. “Pilots aren’t going to change their course based on a sign the city put up.” El Segundo Mayor Kelly McDowell didn’t think a sign was necessary, saying improved relations between the city, the FAA and Los Angeles World Airports, the agency that runs LAX, were curbing early turns and aircraft noise. “Our relationships with FAA and LAWA in terms of the noise problem are as good as they’ve ever been – the best they’ve ever been,” he said. “This is the first time we’ve had any hand-in-glove cooperation on noise.” Indeed, LAWA spokeswoman Nancy Castles said the agency has made progress in quieting airport din and thwarting early turns over El Segundo. A long-running monitoring program works to catch pilots or air traffic controllers that cause early turns, and the airport has allowed smaller planes to take off farther west, pushing planes farther over the ocean before they turn, she said. But longtime resident Liz Garnholz believed airport noise and early turns were worse of late. The Airport Noise Abatement Committee member favored a sign renaissance to keep pilots in line, but this time with more aggressive language possibly calling out offending airlines. “Putting up a sign is bad publicity for the airlines and they don’t want that, and it’s effective,” she said. andrea.woodhouse@dailybreeze.com160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AIRSPACE: Council tonight will consider another marker telling pilots to keep their distance. By Andrea Woodhouse STAFF WRITER If fashions come back in style every 20 years, El Segundo is right on schedule. last_img read more

You’ll come back stronger! Man United star offer support to stricken Shaw

first_img1 Juan Mata has backed Manchester United teammate Luke Shaw to emerge stronger from his horror injury blow.Shaw is facing up to six months on the sidelines after suffering a double-leg break in the Champions League defeat to PSV Eindhoven last week.The 20-year-old’s injury has rocked the United dressing room, and Mata was keen to dedicate their win over Southampton on Sunday to the stricken star.The Spaniard, who was on the scoresheet in the 3-2 victory at St Mary’s, wrote on his official blog: “In short, it was an important and very special win.“Everybody knows that last Tuesday was a bad day for us. Because of the defeat but, especially, because of Luke Shaw’s terribly serious injury.“He was very unlucky and suffered a double fracture of his right leg; all of us felt his pain. That’s why we wanted to dedicate a victory to him as soon as possible, to make him feel happy, at least momentarily, and it came this very Sunday.“I’m sure he will be back stronger, and he will work hard to be with us soon. He was having a great start this season, helping us a lot. All our support to you, my friend, you know we are here with you.”United moved up to second in the Premier League with their triumph over the Saints and Mata, whose compatriot David De Gea made a number of fantastic saves, was pleased to get back to winning ways after the disappointing defeat to PSV.“I’m very happy for a victory that takes the team to the second position, allowing us to finish the week in a much better way than we started it,” he added.“After the first game in the Champions League group stage. We knew how important it was to win at St Mary’s after some of our main rivals had dropped points on Saturday, and we were able to make it.“Pelle scored again for Southampton and they kept trying, but David was there to make amazing saves, like many other times in the last few years, and so we won.” Juan Mata last_img read more

Tip leads to 2 arrests in dead-newborn case

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinalsThe male informant is a resident of the mobile-home park where the body of the baby girl was found May 2, wrapped in plastic bags and a blanket, by a woman searching a trash bin for recyclables. The baby’s umbilical cord was still attached, said sheriff’s Deputy Paul Schrader. Sheriff’s spokeswoman Kerri Webb said detectives obtained enough information from the tipster to get a search warrant, which they served Tuesday night. According to Capt. Ray Peavy, head of the Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau, the baby girl found wrapped in plastic bags and a blanket was the victim of traumatic injuries that resulted in her death. “This baby was born alive and healthy,” Peavy said. “This baby suffered some traumatic injuries that led to her death.” Both Linaras and De La Cruz are being held without bail at the Santa Clarita Valley sheriff’s station. They are scheduled for arraignment Tuesday in Santa Clarita Superior Court. According to broadcast reports, two other small children were removed from the home and are now in protective custody. NEWHALL – A man and woman were arrested Tuesday night in the death of an infant found in a trash bin in Newhall two weeks ago, following a tip from a neighbor, possibly prompted by an offer of a $10,000 reward, a sheriff’s official said Wednesday. Jaquelin Linaras, 22, believed to be the baby’s mother, and her boyfriend, Jose de la Cruz, 42, were arrested after sheriff’s homicide detectives searched a home at the Polynesian Mobile Home Park on San Fernando Road in Newhall, officials said. They left with several bags of evidence, including a section of carpet from a vehicle parked next to the home. “We had a press conference Monday that was very emotional,” said Capt. Patti Minutello. “I think people seeing the face of that little baby got them thinking and resulted in a tipster calling homicide yesterday.” Previously, the Santa Clarita City Council had offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to convictions in the case. Minutello said the reward might have spurred the tip. KCAL (Channel 9) reported that the baby’s father had recently left Linaras. “This is a very difficult case to deal with,” Peavy said. “The good news, if there is such a thing, is we have the people in custody that were responsible and they will pay for it.” The baby girl was the third infant found abandoned and dead in Los Angeles County so far this year, frustrating officials who cite the Safe Surrender Law. The state law allows for newborns to be left at fire stations or hospitals with no questions asked.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more


first_imgDonegal businessman Jason Black has shown his support to the Northfit corporate fitness event which promotes well-being in the workplace.The clever initiative focuses on employee well-being within the workplace and encourages businesses to get active by participating in what has been described as a ‘fun event’.Fitness enthusiast Jason Black who has attempted to scale some of the highest peaks in the world, knows the benefits of leading a fit and healthy lifestyle. He has praised the initiative being launched by Northfit which primarily focuses on targeting businesses and their employees to get fit and active.Jason, who owns the hugely successful Voodoo Venue, has thrown his weight behind the event by signing himself and his employees up for the challenge.He has also encouraged other businesses to get involved in what he describes as a unique and innovative fitness challenge that participants will have fun competing in.To hear Jason’s full interview simply click on the link below.’ll have more interviews with other businesses taking part in the Northfit Corporate fitness event, which takes place early next month.Packie Mailey from Northfit has said he’s been delighted with the response the event has so far received.Mailey told Donegal Daily, ” I would like to thank everyone for there continued support for NorthFit’s 2014 Corporate Challenge.“It’s shaping up to be a fantastic event and if you’re interested in signing up your business for the event then contact us ASAP. For more information on NorthFit’s corporate event then check out their links below to find out more.Website – – – DONEGAL BUSINESSMAN JASON BACKS NORTHFIT CORPORATE FITNESS EVENT was last modified: September 24th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:BusinessFeaturesJason BlacknewsNorthfit Corporate Fitnesslast_img read more

Hurricanes, refineries get fuel-tab blame

first_imgSACRAMENTO – Blame Gulf Coast hurricanes and outages at several California oil refineries for the $3-a-gallon gasoline in California earlier this year, not gouging by retail gas stations, according to a report released Friday by the California Energy Commission. What the report didn’t address was the role of major oil companies, which set wholesale gasoline prices and reaped record profits this summer and fall. The reason: California officials don’t have the authority to get detailed information from them, Commission Chairman Joe Desmond said. The Energy Commission asked for the report in September, when California prices hit an all-time statewide high of $3.06 per gallon. The report, “2005 Gasoline Price Movements in California,” concluded that California’s fortunes at the pump were tied to events elsewhere. Desmond said the state’s per-gallon pump prices peaked at the same time as prices spiked nationally. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals While California refineries weren’t directly affected by hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the storms put such a dent in national supplies that it drove California’s gas prices higher, Desmond said. In addition, California’s wholesale gas purchases are calculated using a benchmark posted by the New York Mercantile Exchange – further tying the state’s prices to national conditions, the commission said. In the month after Hurricane Katrina, California’s refineries increased by 45 percent their exports of gas to Nevada and Arizona, which relied more heavily than California on supplies from the battered Gulf States. This further tightened supplies in California. “That tells you that gasoline will flow to where prices increase,” Desmond said. As the hurricanes shut down 26 percent of the nation’s crude-oil production, several California refineries also had unexpected outages of their own. Fires or other problems at three California refineries were immediately followed by wholesale price increases. A widespread power outage in Los Angeles on Sept. 12 also cut production at three plants, officials said. All those pressures on the wholesale market caused a jump of 72 cents per gallon at the pump between mid-June and early September, the report said. It found no evidence that gas stations contributed to the steep price spikes. But consumer advocates said the report was incomplete because it failed to examine the concerns about gouging on the wholesale level by oil companies. “The story about gas prices isn’t about the local gas stations, but the few mega-refiners who have seen their profits hit record levels while the nation suffers,” said Doug Heller, consumer advocate with the Santa Monica-based Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights. Desmond responded that the proper place to investigate wholesale gasoline prices is in Congress. “This is a deregulated market, and it’s been that way since 1981,” he said. Congress had similar concerns about profits, and last week questioned executives of five major companies. Those companies, along with their parent corporations, earned more than $32.8 billion during the July-to-September quarter. During that time, consumers nationwide saw retail gas prices soar to more than $3 a gallon. The executives defended their profits and denied gouging consumers. They said failing to increase the pump price would have led to a run on gasoline, which would have threatened supplies. To avoid future price spikes, the California Energy Commission is recommending that the Legislature and governor consider establishing a public goods charge, similar to the surcharge on electricity and natural gas bills. The money raised by the charge could go toward assisting low-income families hit hardest by high gas prices, create incentives for consumers to buy alternative fuel and high-efficiency vehicles, and provide funding for projects intended to keep the state’s fuel prices stable. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Breaking: All 12 boys and coach now rescued from Thai cave

first_imgAll twelve boys and their football coach have now been rescued from caves in Thailand.All are understood to be in good health after being freed from the underground cave where they have been trapped for over two weeks.“At this moment (there are) no worrisome conditions, everyone is safe,” a health ministry spokesperson said of the boys currently being treated in hospital. Two of the boys had suspected lung infections but the four boys from the first group rescued were all walking around their hospital rooms.The boys had a good appetite but were mainly being given bland, easily digestible foods. However, doctors later relented after some of the boys asked for bread with chocolate topping.They are still being quarantined from their parents because of the risk of infection and would likely be kept in hospital for a week to undergo tests, officials said.The head of the operation, Narongsak Osottanakorn, said the final operation today would be “more challenging” because it involved five people, along with three Navy SEALs who have been accompanying them. Scattered monsoon rains continued to risk percolating through the limestone cave walls to flood the tunnels with water.A team of foreign divers and Thai Navy SEALS guided the boys during a nine-hour operation through nearly 4km of sometimes submerged, pitch-dark channels from where they have been trapped for more than a fortnight.Breaking: All 12 boys and coach now rescued from Thai cave was last modified: July 10th, 2018 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

1 2 3 8