Tip leads to 2 arrests in dead-newborn case
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBasketball roundup: Sierra Canyon, Birmingham set to face off in tournament quarterfinalsThe male informant is a resident of the mobile-home park where the body of the baby girl was found May 2, wrapped in plastic bags and a blanket, by a woman searching a trash bin for recyclables. The baby’s umbilical cord was still attached, said sheriff’s Deputy Paul Schrader. Sheriff’s spokeswoman Kerri Webb said detectives obtained enough information from the tipster to get a search warrant, which they served Tuesday night. According to Capt. Ray Peavy, head of the Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau, the baby girl found wrapped in plastic bags and a blanket was the victim of traumatic injuries that resulted in her death. “This baby was born alive and healthy,” Peavy said. “This baby suffered some traumatic injuries that led to her death.” Both Linaras and De La Cruz are being held without bail at the Santa Clarita Valley sheriff’s station. They are scheduled for arraignment Tuesday in Santa Clarita Superior Court. According to broadcast reports, two other small children were removed from the home and are now in protective custody. NEWHALL – A man and woman were arrested Tuesday night in the death of an infant found in a trash bin in Newhall two weeks ago, following a tip from a neighbor, possibly prompted by an offer of a $10,000 reward, a sheriff’s official said Wednesday. Jaquelin Linaras, 22, believed to be the baby’s mother, and her boyfriend, Jose de la Cruz, 42, were arrested after sheriff’s homicide detectives searched a home at the Polynesian Mobile Home Park on San Fernando Road in Newhall, officials said. They left with several bags of evidence, including a section of carpet from a vehicle parked next to the home. “We had a press conference Monday that was very emotional,” said Capt. Patti Minutello. “I think people seeing the face of that little baby got them thinking and resulted in a tipster calling homicide yesterday.” Previously, the Santa Clarita City Council had offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to convictions in the case. Minutello said the reward might have spurred the tip. KCAL (Channel 9) reported that the baby’s father had recently left Linaras. “This is a very difficult case to deal with,” Peavy said. “The good news, if there is such a thing, is we have the people in custody that were responsible and they will pay for it.” The baby girl was the third infant found abandoned and dead in Los Angeles County so far this year, frustrating officials who cite the Safe Surrender Law. The state law allows for newborns to be left at fire stations or hospitals with no questions asked.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!