Categories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionClearly, the Daily Gazette smiles approvingly on Re4orm Architects’ plans for lower State Street.The concepts are interesting, and are consistent with the larger dream of a revived downtown Schenectady. The way Re4orm is handling demolition of the 134-136 State St. building suggests management problems down the road for this $15 million public/private project.Consider how Re4orm undertook the interior demolition in the building. It has been fraught with peril. Though tenants still live here (indeed, many only just received notices to quit — and the notices entailed a violation of extent leases), the building is being substantially gutted.The central fire alarm system in this building has been triggered every day or two for the last week. It’s not clear why. Some of these have triggered fire department response. There are possible code violations. Interestingly, Schenectady’s Building Department code compliance force is not attentive to complaints filed. And so on. Ostensibly controlled demolition often includes unexpected catastrophic building failure; Given the frequent alarms and sudden piles of rubble blocking building access, one has to wonder if due care is being exercised — a management problem.But even the concept may be flawed: The first two floors of this building are to become craft breweries. Breweries smell, run at all hours and can blow up. Re4orm proposes luxury apartments upstairs from the breweries.Are there enough stupid people to rent in such a building? Again, this is a question of management competence.The Daily Gazette should perhaps take a more critical view.Donald JennerSchenectadyMore from The Daily Gazette:Foss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidation
Fourteen police officers were injured in “shocking and completely unacceptable” assaults during anti-racism protests in central London on Saturday, London police chief Cressida Dick said on Sunday.After a largely peaceful day, small numbers of protesters briefly clashed with mounted police on Saturday after thousands gathered to voice their anger at police brutality after the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.”I am deeply saddened and depressed that a minority of protesters became violent towards officers in central London yesterday evening. This led to 14 officers being injured,” Dick, who is Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service, said in a statement. “The number of assaults is shocking and completely unacceptable.”The police said that 13 officers were also hurt in protests earlier in the week and a number of arrests had been made.One officer received hospital treatment on Saturday after falling from her horse, but the police said her injuries are not life-threatening.Further protests are planned on Sunday. Dick urged protesters to find another way to make their views heard which “does not involve coming out on the streets of London” due to the risk of the spread of the coronavirus.Topics :
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has established a national team to accelerate the development of a possible COVID-19 vaccine and to improve the country’s resilience in responding to the pandemic.The team was established through Presidential Decree No. 18/2020 on the national team for the acceleration of COVID-19 vaccine development, which was signed by the President on Sept. 3.”[The team will seek] to improve the synergy between research, development, trials and the implementation of knowledge and technology […] between the government and research institutions,” Article 3 of the decree said. While Jokowi is set to oversee the team, Coordinating Economic Minister Airlangga Hartarto has been appointed to chair the team’s steering committee.Research and Technology Minister and National Research and Innovation Agency (BRIN) head Bambang Brodjonegoro has been placed in charge of the development of a potential vaccine, with the assistance of Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto and State-Owned Enterprises Minister Erick Thohir.The Coordinating Human Development and Culture Minister, the Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister, the Foreign Minister, the Industry Minister, the Trade Minister, the Education and Culture Minister and the Food and Drug Monitoring Agency (BPOM) head have been appointed to the team as well.“The COVID-19 vaccine development team will carry out their tasks starting from the date of the issuance of the decree until Dec. 31, 2021,” Article 15 of the decree read, “Once the team has completed their tasks, the COVID-19 vaccine development activities will be carried out by the National Research and Innovation Agency.”The government has put the development of a COVID-19 vaccine on its list of top priorities and plans to set aside Rp 37 trillion (US$ 2.5 billion) for vaccine procurement next year. Indonesia hopes to begin producing a locally developed COVID-19 candidate vaccine called Merah-Putih (red and white) – developed by a national consortium under the Research and Technology Ministry and led by the Eijkman Institute for Molecular Biology – by the middle of 2021.Topics :
Trilogue agreement has been reached on a revised version of the EU Shareholders’ Rights Directive, under which institutional investors will have to disclose a policy on shareholder engagement or explain why they do not have one.The new directive was informally agreed on Thursday by negotiators from the European Parliament, Council and Commission.On Friday, COREPER, the EU member states’ committee of permanent representatives, endorsed the agreement and it is due to formally approve the agreement this week.A spokesperson at the Council told IPE a provisional text of the revised directive would probably be available this week. In a statement, Sergio Cofferati, the Italian MEP who has been acting as the rapporteur for the directive, said he believed the agreement reached was “a very positive one”.“The measures agreed upon will help to steer investments towards a more long-term orientated approach and ensure more transparency for listed companies and investors,” he added.Lucia Žitňanská, minister for Justice of Slovakia, which has the presidency of the member states’ body, said the revised directive would help tackle “excessive short-term risk-taking by managers”.The rules establish requirements and rights for shareholders and companies, as well as other actors in the investing chain, such as proxy advisers.The amendment of the directive was first proposed by the Commission in April 2014.According to law firm Frank Bold, it was later “extensively” revised by the European Parliament’s Committee on Legal Affairs and, after a compromise text was adopted in a parliamentary plenary vote in July 2015, then “blocked in protracted trilogue negotiations”.Under the new rules, institutional investors will be required, on a “comply-or-explain basis”, to develop and disclose a policy on how they intend to engage with investee companies.If they do not do so, they will have to explain why.Other requirements include the right for shareholders to vote on the remuneration policy for a company’s directors.This, according to a statement from the EU Council, “should contribute to the overall business strategy, long-term interests and sustainability of the company and should not be linked to short-term objectives”.A spokeswoman at Frank Bold said it was important to note that directors’ remuneration packages would “have to include non-financial indicators, in additional to traditional financial KPIs, and explain how it benefits the long-term interests of the company”.The Commission had proposed that the vote on pay should be binding, but, in 2015, MEPs voted to let member states decide if shareholder votes on pay should be binding or advisory.According to the statement from the European Parliament, the next steps are for its Legal Affairs Committee to approve the negotiators’ agreement in a vote in January, with a final plenary vote scheduled for March.The Council will also have to adopt the final text next year, and, after the directive is officially published, member states will have two years to transpose it.
Lawrence Nicholas Wessel, son of Cassie (Nee: Williams) and Dan Wessel of Batesville, was stillborn November 22, 2016. He is survived by his sister Genevieve; brother Dominic; maternal grandparents Ron and Denean Williams; paternal grandparents David and Mary Jean Wessel; maternal great grandparents Barbara Wahlbring; Rosalyn and Gene Walke, paternal great grandmother Rosalyn Wessel, all of Batesville as well as numerous aunts, uncles and cousins.A private graveside service will be held at St. Louis Cemetery officiated by Rev. Eric Flood. For online condolences go to www.weigelfh.com.
The St. Nicholas Saints 7th and 8th-Grade Boys Basketball teams hosted the St. Mary’s (Greensburg) Knights at St. Anthony’s on Tuesday Night, December 10th. The 7th Grade Saints fell to the Knights 36-25. The 8th Grade Saints were victorious over the Knights 34-12.Courtesy of Saints Coach Dave Hoff.
Captain Grant Holt headed a dramatic stoppage-time winner as Norwich came from behind with a late double to beat Everton 2-1 at Carrow Road. Press Association Defeat was, however, harsh on Everton, who had been the better side for long spells, with Marouane Fellaini central to all their attacking threat. Norwich created the first opening on five minutes. Wes Hoolahan played Robert Snodgrass into the left side of the Everton penalty area, but his angled shot was blocked by Sylvain Distin as the ball looped up over the crossbar for a corner. At the other end, Norwich centre-half Michael Turner threw himself in front of Fellaini’s drive. The Belgian was then involved in an altercation with Bradley Johnson after being caught on the knee by the Norwich midfielder, which was missed by referee Lee Mason – and he took retribution by barging Johnson over on the far touchline. That was seen and resulted in a free-kick as well as a stern talking to. It was the visitors, who took the lead six minutes before half-time. Left-back Leighton Baines floated the ball across the Norwich six-yard box, where it was missed by both Johnson and Sebastien Bassong, allowing an unmarked Osman to glance his header past Bunn. Hughton made a change on the hour, as Luciano Becchio was replaced by Kamara, on-loan from Major League Soccer club Sporting Kansas City. The Sierra Leone international almost became an instant hero when he tried an acrobatic scissors-kick, but it lacked the power to test Howard. Norwich had more tempo now and were level on 84 minutes. Pilkington’s run down the left saw the ball blocked behind for a corner. Snodgrass’ delivery picked out Kamara, and his downward header beat Howard as Carrow Road erupted. The Canaries pressed for a dramatic winner, with Distin’s superb block keeping out Holt’s close-range effort. However, there was still time for another chance, which the Norwich captain dispatched at the far post after a deep cross from Russell Martin had been nodded on by Bassong. Substitute Kei Kamara scored his first goal in English football with six minutes left to cancel out Leon Osman’s first-half header for Everton. Chris Hughton’s hard-working side were not finished yet, though, and secured a first Barclays Premier League win since December 19 when Holt stabbed home at the far post.
New Delhi: When Jasprit Bumrah was diagnosed with a stress fracture on the lower back, many Indian cricket fans were fearing the worst. A stress fracture is a massive injury to a fast bowler and looking at the past experiences of Australian pacers Pat Cummins, James Pattinson and Peter Siddle, it looked like Bumrah would face a length period on the sidelines after consulting a specialist in England. However, there is good news on the way as India bowling coach Bharat Arun and former BCCI and IPL physiotherapist Vaibhav Daga have said he does not need surgery.Speaking to the Hindustan Times, Daga, who is now the head of sports sciences and rehabilitation at Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani hospital in Mumbai said, “Recovery after surgery would take more time to come back to sport than what we do with conservative treatment. With conservative treatment, it usually takes 14 to 16 weeks for the bowler to start bowling again, depending on clinical symptoms,” Daga said. In an interview with The Hindu, Arun said the rigours of fast bowling were such that being injury-free is no guarantee. “Fast bowling is an unnatural activity. Despite our best efforts, there can be no guarantees. We expect Bumrah to be back for the New Zealand Tests which will be important,” Arun said. Daga explained the process of conservative treatment. “It begins with core strength which involves static and dynamic along with stretching as intensity is built up. After the bowler is completely pain free, there is more dynamic exercise activities. After that, he will start slow running and in the end, Bumrah will be slowly eased into bowling. The intensity will be progressively built-up. The key factors to look in this case are speed and workload. He will start at 50 percent of his speed and will gradually build up with time,” Daga told the Hindustan Times.Bumrah was ruled out of the three Test series against South Africa due to a back stress fracture. Bumrah had been India’s key factor in their success overseas in 2018, picking up five wicket hauls in South Africa, England, Australia and West Indies. The Gujarat pacer’s success in Australia helped India win a series Down Under for the first time. In the series against West Indies, Bumrah took a hat-trick and became the quickest Indian pacer to 50 wickets. Many people believe said Bumrah’s unorthodox action could have possibly contributed to his stress fracture. Following the injury, he visited London to see a specialist.Also Read | Jasprit Bumrah’s Stress Fracture Has Nothing To Do With His Action: Ashish NehraThe Indian cricket team have been plagued by injuries after the end of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019. Apart from Bumrah, allrounder Hardik Pandya has been ruled out for close to five months due to a back injury that required surgery. Bumrah will miss the entire home summer and it is expected that he might be back for the New Zealand Tests that will be played in February. For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
In Division 1 Group 1Thurles Sarsfields beat Mullinahone 1-14 to 0-14,Clonoulty hit 3-21 to Portroe’s 0-19 while Nenagh Eire Og beat Killenaule 3-17 to 0-22.In group 2 Kilruane McDonaghs overcame Eire Óg Annacarty 0-21 to 1-14 while Kiladangan beat Borrisoleigh by the minimum 1-16 to 1-15. Photo © Tipperary GAA
KINGSTON, Jamaica, CMC – Seven days after a heavy 318-run drubbing in the opening Test, West Indies will try to pick up the pieces and turn the tables on India when the critical second Test bowls off at Sabina Park in Kingston, Jamaica on Friday.Other than optimism, however, there is not much to suggest that West Indies can lift themselves and produce a performance worthy of beating India and levelling the two-match series.In Antigua last week, their batting left a lot to be desired, folding for 222 and then embarrassingly for 100 – their sixth-lowest total ever against the Indians.And seamer Kemar Roach apart, the Windies attack lacked penetration and India’s second innings of 343 for seven declared was testament to the little threat the bowling carried.But a composed captain Jason Holder assured reporters on Thursday there would be no hangover from the Antigua debacle.“The guys are really up for it. We were obviously disappointed with the performance in the last game and this is just another opportunity for us to come and level the series,” he said.“There is no point playing it tentatively or halfheartedly, we’ve got to come and put on a really good show. It’s something we’ve done well in the past, we tend to respond well when we’re under pressure.“So I expect the guys to be up for this challenge and hope we can play a really good game of cricket.”A major area of concern remains the Windies batting. Not a single batman managed a half-century in the opening Test, and Roston Chase’s 48 in the first innings was the best effort on show.Key batsmen are also short of form. Opener and vice-captain Kraigg Brathwaite, the side’s leading scorer in recent past, averages 13 from his last eight Tests while the stylish Shai Hope, with two centuries in the second Test against England at Leeds two years ago, is averaging 18 also from his last eight Tests.Holder did give credit to Kemar Roach, however, for being outstanding. “Kemar Roach has been outstanding, Shannon Gabriel has been outstanding and I’ve also been very supportive in the bowling lineup. We’ve depended heavily on our pacers for the last couple years and it’s just a matter for them to continue the outstanding work they’ve been doing.“Every time I call on them they just come and give a massive effort and it’s always in a very good cause for the team. Hopefully, we can continue to keep our pacers firing and hopefully get 20 wickets in this Test match.”SQUAD:WEST INDIES – Jason Holder (captain), Kraigg Brathwaite, John Campbell, Darren Bravo, Shai Hope (wkp), Roston Chase, Shimron Hetmyer, Shamarh Brooks, Jahmar Hamilton (wkp), Rahkeem Cornwall, Kemar Roach, Shannon Gabriel, Keemo Paul.